Translate

Friday 6 July 2018

Getting my yogini on...

I didn’t know the term yogi or yogini before I met Hannah. I thought Yogi was a bear who lived in Jellystone Park! And yogini. That just sounds like bikini. Which given this weather makes me think of the beach...




Anyway, I first got in touch with Hannah when I noticed new temporary signage going up in town announcing an exciting new studio space opening soon. There was an email address posted in the window. And that’s how I met Hannah, because I got in touch to find out more. Hannah is a brilliant, confident, enthusiastic and caring studio owner. She is open to ideas about the development of her studio, and also has a very clear sense of vision about the direction of her new venture. And what a lovely new business to have in town. So very different from everything else on the high street. 

Not long after emailing in, on a sunny Saturday, A Fine Balance  launch day was upon us and there was an exciting buzz in the town centre. A modern and inviting studio flinging open its doors so that we could start our own yogini adventures.







A Fine Balance offers a broad range of classes, class times and memberships. I took up the special introductory offer of £15 for two weeks’ unlimited classes. A great way to road test the studio and to see how you get on with the classes and teachers. With such a great choice of times and sessions, there is sure to be something to please even the most discerning of yoginis. And for me, who has enjoyed many a yoga summer school with my mum from a young age, the flexibility and quality of lessons allows me to slot the studio into my timetable with complete ease.

I regularly attend barre (thanks Kate and Marcos for giving me back my ballet legs), and yoga flow is a lovely way to go through sequences with a more relaxed and calm feeling towards the end of the week. I used to make excuses or find myself pulling out of other exercise classes last-minute, or early in the evening the day before. This just doesn’t happen with yoga at the studio. Somehow, the sense of well-being that I know will come both during and at the end of a session overrides this.




On a personal note, I am in recovery for a bipolar episode that knocked me for six last summer. The road to recovery is long and challenging. With the support of family and friends, medical teams, and my healthy lifestyle support from A Fine Balance, I am dealing with medication changes and adjustments with a smile on my face and a positive outlook that makes me feel happy and content. Life can be tricky. For everyone. Yoga calms my mind, brushes away the daily rubbish that I do not need, and allows me to focus on myself. Yoga is not just about the physical. It’s about the mind too. 

So thank you to Hannah and A Fine Balance for the healing both inside and out. May the studio live long and prosper. Because we all could do with getting our yogini on. Namaste.






No comments:

Post a Comment