Translate

Monday 29 March 2010

I AM BORING



Ok, I'll get the nasty bit out of the way. Please vote for me in the Author Blog Awards. I am currently one of the front runners, and if I win, all those that voted for me win prizes too.

So enough of the begging and back to the business of blogging.

I was lucky enough (although this phrase may later seem ironic) to win tickets to a preview showing of lo sono l'amore (I am love) with Tilda Swinton cast as Emma Recchi, a Russian who married into a powerful Milanese family.

This film tries too hard to be something that it is not, and the results are not entirely pleasing. It is awkward instead of quirky, and embarrassing instead of emotional. The two hours I sat uncomfortably in my seat felt long and draining. I wanted to love this film, but wanting to love something is not the same as truly loving it.

Even the music, which in isolation might have been something was spoilt by the discordant matching of notes to scenes. And I speak as a Royal College of Music Junior Department veteran, as opposed to a "critic" that happens to tune into Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen on the occasional Sunday morning on Classic FM.

I generally try to be positive about the things that I review because it isn't nice to say mean things. But I have a duty to be honest as well. So I will settle for an attempt at diplomacy. The most beautiful thing I can say about l'amore is that I had a nice long sit-down next to my husband who held my hand for a couple of hours after a busy day at work while I forced this horrendous experience on him. And the only punishment I got was his comment that I could use his line "I am boring" for the title of this blog entry.

If I were a film judge, this film would get 10/10 for effort but only 1/10 for attainment.

Just in a final attempt to be positive, I am very grateful to the esteemed publication that is the Guardian for letting me win free tickets, so I didn't have to pay. Thanking you kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment